The 2 Day Early Year’s / Paediatric First Aid is specifically aimed at those delegates who work with babies and young children primarily in nurseries, play groups, play centres, clubs, professional child minders and primary schools. It is legally required in England and Wales that all persons as part of their duties care or supervise for babies and/or small children be trained at this level of first aid.
This course may also be used to provide evidence to an NVQ assessor for those working towards an NVQ in Child Care and Education (level 3).
The nationally recognised First Aid at Work training programme will be taught. This is inclusive of the following elements:
- Objectives & Importance of First Aid
- First Aid and the Law
- First Aid Box/Kit Contents
- Hygiene and Self-protection
- Assessment of an incident & priorities for treatment
- Care of the unconscious casualty
- Secondary Survey
- Recovery Position
- Care of the unconscious and not breathing casualty
- Infant, child Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Infant, Child Choking
- Bleeding, Broken Bones, Strains and Sprains
- Burns & Scalds
- Bites & Stings
- Anaphylaxis and Allergic reactions
- Asthma, Diabetes and Seizures
- Head & Spinal Injuries
- Eye Injuries
- Extremes of Heat & Cold
- Childhood Conditions – Febrile Convulsions, Meningitis, Sickle Cell Crisis
Each delegate will have an opportunity to practice CPR skills on a range of manikins including ‘Fat Fred’ who represents an overweight person, Little Anne, Junior Anne and ‘Baby Anne’.
Delegates will also be able to practice techniques in bandaging, in controlling bleeding, using an epi-pen, using asthma in-haler, techniques for dealing with choking using ‘Choking Charlie’ and ‘Choking Baby’ manikins and methods for dealing with burns, plus many other practical skills.
Each delegate will receive a full colour glossy First Aid Manual and an accredited certificate valid for 3 years.
Maximum Number of Delegates: 12